Journey to Neuro Recovery
Kentfield Hospital’s neuro program is innovative and unique, affording patients with neurological injury, transitioning from neuro intensive care units, the best possible chance of recovery. This transitional period is a time in recovery at which the patient remains with complex neurological and medical problems which require expert medical knowledge in order to provide for optimal outcomes. Our team of medical experts is specially trained and credentialed to care for complex neuro injuries as well as supporting the patient’s families adjusting to the effects of the brain injury.
Why Kentfield Hospital?
Kentfield Hospital provides a unique program that targets care for brain-injured
patients in the acute transitional period of their recovery. Kentfield
Hospital benefits those patients who remain very sick and complicated
medically, and requires a high level of support, medical expertise
, and attention from a team with an expertise in neurocritical care, as
well as general medical care. Kentfield Hospital is currently the only
hospital in the community to provide this unique service.
Kentfield Hospital’s role is to:
- Ensure a continuum of neurological, neurosurgical, and medical care throughout the stages after an acute brain injury.
- Ensure that goals of care are constantly addressed and good communication is provided through the patient’s stay
- Ensure and coordinate necessary follow-up and interventions.
Kentfield Hospital assists patients with acute brain injury including:
- Intracranial Hemorrhage
- Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Subdural Hematomas
- Post Neurosurgical interventions
- Infections – meningitis, encephalitis, auto immune
- Status Epilepticus
- Spinal cord injury
- Acute Neuromuscular diseases (e.g. Gillian Barre syndrome, myasthenia gravis, critical illness neuropathy/myopathy)
- Acute spinal cord diseases (e.g. myelopathy)
- Other (severe demyelinating disease, hydrocephalus)
Benefits of Kentfield Hospital:
- High-quality metrics and success rates for neuro patients
- Specialty ‘Journey to Neuro Recovery Program’
- Onsite Neuro Intensivist
- Telemedicine Intensivist coverage at night
- Neuro RN’s and other staff trained to handle neuro patients
- Intensive Rehabilitation for neuro patients to get them ready for Acute Rehabilitation or Home
- Concierge services for helping patients spend quality time when family/friends not able to visit
Dr. David Palestrant, MD
Dr. David Palestrant, MD is Board Certified in Neurocritical Care, Vascular Neurology, Critical Medicine and Neurology. He has spent his career taking care of patients with severe brain injuries and is a leader in the development of programs to support patients transitioning from neuro intensive care units. The goal of these hospital based programs is to provide the support and medical expertise needed to ensure patients transitioning from the neuro ICU the best chance for maximal recovery.