Our multidisciplinary team, led by a rehabilitation physician, establishes realistic goals with patients and their families for each step along the way of the rehabilitation continuum. Patients and their families are integral members of the team and participate in the development of the treatment plan. The goals of our program are individualized to maximize independence, and include the following:
- Improve mobility and transfer techniques through training in walking, the use of wheelchairs and assistive devices.
- Improve patients’ self-care skills in bathing, dressing, and feeding.
- Increase patients’ and families’ knowledge about the recovery and rehabilitation process, and prepare them for lifestyle adjustments.
- Establish independence in bowel and bladder function.
- Educate patients and families regarding secondary heath issues.
- Educate patients and families about communication and swallowing.
- Attain highest level of cognitive function possible.
- Establish plan for nutrition and medication management.
- Educate patients and families regarding care giving skills and establishing realistic expectations for family life.
Our program is designed for patients with the following diagnoses:
- Hemorrhagic and non-hemorrhagic stroke
- Other Cerebral Vascular Diseases
Approach to Care
Cerebral vascular disease and stroke patients are faced with a multitude of complex problems. Our approach to care includes:
- Physical therapy to focus on transfer/gait training incorporating the initiation of assistive/orthotic devices and functional E-Stim for neuro re-education to enhance motor control/strength of affected side.
- Occupational therapy to address independence and participation in self care tasks and functional transfers, address upper extremity deficits and tone management following CVA and assess for adaptive equipment needs.
- Speech Therapy to reestablish the ability to process information and communicate as well as improve cognition (memory) and swallowing.
- Rehabilitation nursing to educate in nutrition, medication management, bowel and bladder function, sexuality and skin management.
- Patient education regarding management of diabetes and other secondary health issues.
- Psychological support to help patients and their families adjust to changes in daily living.
Continuum of Care
Our program is designated to meet the individual needs of patients and their families from pre-admission to community re-entry. Care is available on an In-Patient and Out-Patient basis. Each patient’s care plan is continuously evaluated and adjusted as the patient progresses through the continuum of care. We also provide specialized services which include:
- Board-Certified physicians
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurses
- Outdoor mobility court
- Activities of Daily Living Suite
- Therapeutic indoor pool
- Community reintegration
- Spasticity and pain management
- On-site support groups
- Referral service to appropriate resources and support systems
- Follow-up care will be scheduled for all patients with referring physician upon discharge
- Vital-Stim therapy for swallowing
- Functional electrical stimulation.
For admissions information about our rehabilitation programs for stroke and cerebral vascular disease, please call the Vibra Rehabilitation Hospital Admissions Department.