Sharon R.

Sharon R.

Sharon, a retired nurse, kept herself busy. She stayed active by doing the things she loved - shopping, spending time with her husband and family, and taking occasional trips to the mountains.

During an enjoyable stay at Shaver Lake, Sharon had an accidental fall while reaching for her bed.

“I was returning from the bathroom at 2:00 am, reached for the bed, and nearly missed it,” explained Sharon. “I was barely hanging on to the mattress-topper when I started to slowly slide down to the floor.” The pain was not bad enough to go to the emergency room, so Sharon went back to sleep.

The next morning, Sharon noticed that her hips were slightly sore. She took precautions to move safely until she could visit her primary care physician.

Once Sharon saw her physician, she felt a little more at ease. He determined there was no displacement or broken bones. providing a sense of relief for Sharon and her family.

Then one day, the unthinkable happened. Sharon lost her balance while reaching for a hairbrush and hit her head as she landed on the floor.

Sharon immediately realized the seriousness of hitting her head. The pain excruciating, but Sharon also became worried about the blood-thinning medication she took every day. The medication put her at a higher risk of bleeding. Sharon needed to be seen by a physician as soon as possible.

Sharon’s husband called 9-1-1. An ambulance transported her to the local emergency room. Sharon was admitted shortly thereafter.

“After a week or so, I was so relieved to be discharged and transferring to San Joaquin Valley Rehabilitation Hospital,” said Sharon. "I wanted to regain my strength, practice proper mechanics, and work safely to get myself back to getting better."

During her inpatient stay at SJVRH, Sharon was proud of her rehab team and what they helped her accomplish. Sharon recognized the importance of regaining confidence after her inpatient stay. “Trust the process and the experts who can help you along the way,” she explained. “I had multiple injuries, but I was motivated to getting back to my previous state. And didn’t hesitate to give my best effort.”

After 11 days, Sharon discharged and transitioned to outpatient therapy at SJVRH. “I didn’t give up, even when things got difficult. I kept trying through the entire therapy process to improve with each therapy session. And I actually did get better!”

Recently, Sharon completed her outpatient therapy program, having made great strides in her independent daily life. It was important to Sharon and her family that she received proper care due to the complexity of her injuries. They expressed their appreciation for her care at SJVRH: “We’re really thankful to all the staff at SJVRH for the great care they gave. It allowed me to spend quality time with my friends and family, doing the things I’ve always enjoyed.”