Bob B.

Bob B.

"It started quite suddenly. I was just starting to settle in for the night, watching TV at home with Lexie, my long-haired Chihuahua, when I suddenly couldn’t move my right hand or right leg. I called six or eight times to my wife, who was watching TV at the other end of the house. She quickly understood it was an emergency situation and called 9-1-1. The paramedics took me to Eisenhower where I was given a TPA injection, and where I had a CAT scan and an MRI. A blood clot had gone to my brain. I spent the next 3 days in the ICU.

I thought back to when I was younger. School was easy for me. I could get A's and B's without studying. Just reading the book was enough. My father had a career in the Navy, and as a youth, I, too, joined the Navy, the very day after graduating from high school. I was just 17.

After the Navy, I went to college and graduated with a degree in Information Technology. This was my springboard to work for a company for more than 30 years. I have always been able to succeed in whatever I put my mind to, and I have always kept my word when I said I would do a task. I was used to being able to rely upon myself. I could walk, drive and work on my yard. I enjoyed gardening and working on the pool. Would I be able to do these things again?

Catja was the nurse from Vibra Rehabilitation Hospital of Rancho Mirage that came to see me in the ICU at Eisenhower. She provided me information about the [hospital] and services that Vibra offered. It sounded like a possibility, so I looked it up on my iPad. I realized I had watched the building start to be built years earlier, but then construction had stopped. I use to drive by the abandoned project all the time. Then one day, I saw that it was being finished, and I saw the Vibra sign (at the time I thought it was going to be a place for seniors or a nursing home).

I was interested in hearing more from Catja about Vibra, but my real thought was to just go home once released. I really thought that I might try an outpatient place my wife had gone to years before. I wanted to be back home, in familiar surroundings, and to be in my own bed. I was determined to go home and I was frustrated. I even had a bit of a breakdown, feeling overwhelmed, and defeated. My physician at the hospital convinced me to 'go to Vibra for one day and see.' I am glad that I did!

I transferred to Vibra around 8:00 pm, and Catja was there to help me make the transition. Everyone at Vibra was pleasant and professional. I was given my medications for the night and shown the schedule of therapy for the next day. Vibra was able to make the required adjustments to my medications and I had my first good night’s sleep since all of this began.

The next morning, therapists Brandon and Timothy were there to help me start a challenging day of therapy. It was much more intense than what I had received at the hospital. Not just walking to the nurse’s station and back, but a complete overview of my mobility and thinking process. I worked in the gym on strengthening, walking with a walker, mobility, spatial perception and balance. Brandon especially had a style and way of motivating me that I respected and related to. We set goals to 'walk independently again,' and to have better muscle control in my leg.

Everyone was pleasant and thorough, helpful and friendly. My progress has already been great, and it will only be getting better! I am going to learn all the moves and techniques from Vibra while I am here to keep this up at home. When the spike in my progress starts to level off, I will be looking to go home, and I am now considering a home health company that specializes in physical therapy. I am motivated to succeed and know that I can keep this going.

If I had to rate Vibra, overall I would give it a 9. Why not a 10? Because my wife is the only 10 I’ve ever seen!"