Thomas D.

Thomas D.

Tom is a 73 year old retired principal who loves working with his hands. In fact, he even built his own home. Tom enjoyed exceptionally good health and had never even been in the hospital until this past September.

On 9/12/16, Tom experienced a sudden bout of vomiting and severe abdominal pain. He was taken to the hospital where he was diagnosed with gallbladder pancreatitis. He underwent removal of his gallbladder on 9/16/16. Postoperatively, he suffered multiple complications. He required intubation for respiratory failure, and a test showed a pancreatic pseudocyst into which a drain was inserted. In addition, he developed sepsis, encephalopathy, an unstageable wound to his coccyx, and critical illness myopathy.

Tom was admitted to Vibra Hospital on 10/18/16 for continued medical management, wound care, and therapy. At the time of his therapy evaluations, he was extremely weak and could not even lift his extremities against gravity. He did not tolerate sitting very well due to his wound, and he also exhibited some lingering confusion due to encephalopathy. He needed almost total assistance with all activities of daily living and mobility.

In spite of these daunting obstacles, Tom participated in therapy every day. His wife was with him daily assisting with exercises and providing support. He began getting up in a chair twice a day, even with the discomfort of his wound. Speech therapy assisted him in speaking using the Passy muir valve on his trach, and he became safe to eat a modified diet. As he improved, he and his family set their sites on the rehabilitation hospital for his discharge goal as he neared the end of his time at Vibra.

Tom, however, began to surpass all expectations. He started taking steps in the parallel bars, and within a week, he was walking over 100 feet with a walker. His speech therapist cleared him for a normal diet, and his trach was removed. With occupational therapy, he was completing more activities with improved independence. When he was referred to the rehabilitation hospital, they actually denied him. He had improved beyond the need for that level of care and therapy.

On 11/15/16, less than a month after his admission to Vibra, Tom’s wife took him home. He still needed standby assistance with transfers and walking at times and help with setting up items for his activities of daily living. With additional therapy at home and continued encouragement and support from his wife, there is no doubt he will further exceed expectations and be back to complete independence in no time. The staff at Vibra Hospital are delighted for Tom and his family and wish him continued success.